Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Renewanation

Last Tuesday night, I attended a benefit banquet with the staff from my school. The banquet was for an organization call RENEWANATION and included area Christian schools, churches, businesses that have supported them. This organization was birthed out of a pastor's heart to see every child in America be offered a Christian based education. Their mission is to secure a bright future for America and the world by instilling a Christian worldview in the hearts and minds of children.

Ok, so I must admit I really wasn't looking forward to going last week. Actually, I was looking forward to the dinner part. The banquet was held at the Hotel Roanoke and I knew I would at least enjoy a nice dinner. I know, that sounds awful, but it's the truth. Lately, my weeknights at home have been few and far between and I felt like this was just "one more" thing added to list of places to be. Well, I must say, I am so thankful I went and when I left I felt refreshed, encouraged, and  sensed God speaking to my heart. And an added bonus, my school was one of three in our area to receive a $10,000 grant. What a HUGE blessing!

The speaker for the evening was Dr. Jeff Meyers from Summit Ministries in Colorado. Wow, did he have a powerful message. He challenged us, as Christian educators and parents, to not sit on the 'sidelines" and continue to allow the world to take control of the minds of our children and youth. He reminded us of how important it is to take every situation to teach our children to have a Biblical worldview. He referenced Deuteronomy chapter 6, specifically verse 7-9 ... You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
He gave a really neat example of this. As a researcher, he had done tests on the effects of video games and the brain. So, he said he came home from work and told his children that they wouldn't be playing video games for awhile. Of course, his kids quickly tried to convince him that there was a "new" kind of game system that kept the body active while playing. Their example was playing tennis... so he said okay, you want to play tennis, then get in the car. He took them to play tennis. Then he said they continued to push and said they could also act out bowling on this game system. He said, ok, you want to bowl.... then get in the car. He ended up taking them bowling. Finally, his kids told him that they actually liked to play the "shut 'em up" games. He said, ok...... get in the car.  LOL! He took them to buy airsoft guns and they played in their backyard that evening. His point was that as he was playing with his children, he was also teaching them, spending time with them, using the situations to talk about God.  One morning as he was coming downstairs for breakfast, he said he could hear his children discussing "deep theological" issues like Clifford. You know.... the big Red Dog! lol   Their discussion was whether Clifford really loved God or not. So as he was listening, his three year old said... "I don't think he loves God because he never talks about him." This really made me think. A biblical worldview does not just happen by chance or just by going to church.... it starts in the home and then filters out into other influences... school, church, etc.  Because their father spent time playing with them and while playing, talked about God... he was instilling a Christian worldview in their hearts and minds.

Eventhough I'm not a parent, God has called me to be a teacher. I pray that I am instilling in my students a christian world view and that I'm taking every opportunity to teach them about God... not just during our Bible lesson but in every part of our day.

A challenge to you.... are you taking every opportunity to develop a Biblical worldview in the lives of the children in your life?!

I encourage you to check out the renewanation website.

Have a blessed week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment