Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Blessing of Family

For the past six years, my husband and I have enjoyed a tradition of having both of our parents together at our house the second weekend in December. Our parents live about 5 hours apart and don't get to see each other very often. Thankfully, our parents get along well and enjoy each other's company. So... after moving back to Virginia several years ago and being fortunate enough that we live about halfway between them, we decided to invite them both to our house each year for  a little Christmas celebration. We always have such a great time together. Each year I try to plan something fun we can do together on Saturday evening. This year we went to the Hotel Roanoke to see all of the beautiful and interesting trees they have on display.













Our parents usually arrive on Saturday and I take our moms shopping while the guys usually watch football. Then in the evening I cook dinner and afterward we head out for our fun activity. This year Trevor and I decided to take our parents to Cracker Barrell for dinner! :)

 I always look forward to this special time.
Trevor and I were thinking back from the time we began this tradition and and all of the fun things we've done together. Here are just a few....

attending Thomas Road Baptist Church's "The Living Christmas Tree"
going to the Festival of Lights downtown
taking them to Dickens of a Christmas downtown and seeing the Christmas parade (it was SO cold)
going to the movies to see The Nativity
and many more- 
and I must acknowledge the year I had a virus all weekend (ugh!).... can't forget that... NOT FUN!

Our family is truly a blessing to us. We are so thankful for the family God has blessed us with. I am also glad that Trevor and I started this tradition. I know, as I have already experienced, that one day we will look back over these years and cherish the special times we were able to have both of our parents together in our home. 

I pray that everyone has a wonderful Christmas celebrating the true meaning..... Jesus, the light of the world! 

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you have that time with them :) Sounds like fun! Drew talks often about going to Thomas Road and we have yet to go, maybe next year we could double date ;) Oh, and I am so sorry your husband is still at my house... we do REALLY appreciate his help!

    ReplyDelete