Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Keeping Christmas Simple

Since Trevor and I've been married, for the most part we've kept Christmas present giving simple. As we started out, 12 Christmases ago, we agreed we would stay within a budget and purchase gifts that we could afford. Some years we didn't get each other anything, some years we bought a together gift of something needed or just bought for stockings, and then there have been a few years where we did purchase gifts for each other. Even our first year together, we decided not to buy gifts but that we would make something for the other. That's when I discovered my husband's talent in carpentry. This was my gift!!





That Christmas was so sweet and special.

For the most part, we've done really well sticking to a budget. We always wanted to make sure we had some funds to buy presents for family. Over the years, especially our second Christmas, money was extremely tight. We were both seminary students and had moved to New Orleans. As I love to give and enjoy picking out presents for others, I had to learn to be creative in order to stay in a budget. That particular year, we combined gifts for couples in our family. Over the years, as I've really learned who God made with my likes and dislikes, I realized how much homeade gifts mean to me and how I enjoy making gifts. I guess I'm kind of old- fashioned. I think how our society over indulges themselves and sometimes I wish I lived in a more simpler time period where "stuff" really was not the focus. So, since God placed me in this place and time, I'm gonna try to keep my home focused on keeping Christmas simple and to adopt traditions and gift giving that glorifies God. - Not the way our world abuses it today!

I also attribute this to my upbringing. My parents were always thinking of others and lived it out in front of me. Every Christmas Eve for most of my childhood and until I was in college, my parents invited a couple from our church to eat Christmas Eve dinner with us. This couple did not have children and didn't have any family close by. My brother and I kind of adopted them as grandparents and always looked forward to spending Christmas Eve with them. I have so many wonderful memories of them, who've both gone on the be with the Lord.

Another year, as a family, we went and bought a Christmas tree, some decorations, and groceries for a family who faced financial difficulties and who were in great need. When we went to deliver the "goodies", no one was home. So, we left the items on their porch. I can remember being so excited. We weren't able to see their expression but what an impact that made on my life!

Another year we delivered presents to a family with young children who were not able to afford gifts. I could go on and on. An important part of this that impacted my life is that we would pray for and with the families.

So as an adult, I want to continue looking for opportunities to bless, encourage,and be the hands and feet of Christ.- Not only at Christmas, but throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment