Saturday, February 5, 2011

Foster Care- part 2

Well, it's been a while since I last wrote about our progress with our pursing to be foster parents. Probably, because there was no update to post until about a month ago. It's taken me this long to finally write about it. The week before Christmas we had our second home visit where they check our home to make sure it meets their requirements and standards for being able to bring a child into our home. In other words, our home needed to be ready and prepared as if we were going to take in a child the next day. So, needless to say, we worked hard at preparing for the visit. The visit went really well. We were able to turn in some of our completed paperwork and our home finder followed up with us on what was left to be completed and we scheduled a time for her third visit. As you can tell, we'd been planning and preparing mentally, emotionally, and physically for the past four months. So it came as a shock when we received an e-mail the next week stating that we had been rejected because of the age group we desired. My husband and I had decided that our age limit would be ten years old. We've been married for 10 years and felt that was appropriate and didn't feel we could handle going any higher, especially since we've never had children. Well, we were told if we wouldn't accept a teenager, they would have to reject us. Wow! You can imagine the emotion I felt. I was disappointed, angry - partly because I felt like we had been deceived into thinking we would get a child. I also felt like I had been punched in the face.

Now that I've had time to think about it, pray about it, talk to friends about it, I have finally become okay with it. I really had believed this was the direction God was taking us. We had great support. People were asking us how they could help. Someone had given us a bed and it just seemed that everything was working out and moving in that direction. Throughout the process, we had continued to pray that if this wasn't God's will that He would close the door. I am comforted knowing that His plans are greater than mine and His ways are better than mine. Although I don't understand, I know that God has something better in mind. And as Trevor and I pray about what other options we have, we also know that it could be God's will for us not to have children at all. Although that's hard to breathe in, I desire more than anything in life to please him and if that means not having children then I submit to his will.

As I have been wrestling with this for the past month, the Lord has used His word to strengthen me. Here are a couple of scriptures that I continue think on..
Psalms 20:7 says " Some trust in chariots and some in horses but we will trust in the name of the Lord our God.
James 1:2-3 says "Consider it all joy my brethern, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

Here is a song by Hillsong United that has been encouraging and uplifting to me during this time.



Eventhough my circumstances can weigh me down, when I began to worship Him, being in His presence just makes my situation seem so small! I can't imagine how bleak, miserable, and hopeless my life would be without Him.

So, I ask for your continued prayers as we pray and seek where to go from here. Hopefully, as I tell my story whoever is reading this will be encouraged and know that God has a plan and purpose for you!!


Have a blessed Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment